Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Life.Money.Hope Part 1

The Ridge is doing a 3 week series about life, money, and hope. We are watching some videos that LifeChurch.tv shot of Dave Ramsey. I will admit, at first I was a little skeptical that I would get anything out of these videos. Eric and I saw him at a conference a couple years ago, and I honestly thought there was nothing new to learn. How wrong I was!

He doesn't have any new, brain busting ideas then before, but he has gotten a lot funnier. I swear, if it wasn't for his humor, I probably would be dreading going to church. But good'ole Dave is pretty funny. This coming Sunday (the31st) is our last week of Dave Ramsey. Then after that, all of the videos will be posted here.

Here are some of the notes that I took during the first week.

LIFE.MONEY.HOPE
Week 1
The Basics of Biblical Finance

1. Get out of debt..."The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender." Prov. 22:7
2. Act your wage..."A foolish man devours all he has." Prov. 21:20
3. Get on a budget..."For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it?" Luke 14:20
4. Save and Invest..."In the house of the wise are stores of choice and oil." Prov. 21:20
5. GIVE..."Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house." Malachi 3:10

Here are some other little notes that I jotted down during the video...
*God doesn't bless stupid
*Slaves aren't generous
*Debt is not a sin, it's Biblical stupideness
*Debt is financial whining
*Live on less then you make
*You can't out earn stupid
*You should have-
1. Emergency Fund (3-6 months worth of income saved)
2. Pay cash, for EVERYTHING!
3. Invest

Like I said earlier, Dave Ramsey was funny to listen to, and even though I saw him before, and he talked about the same stuff before, it was a nice refresher.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Dave has such great advice! I like reading his columns about finances.