Monday, May 4, 2009

A different kind of update

Usually at the beginning of each month I try to update you all on what is going on at The Ridge, and in our lives. My update is basically some facts, and some little details on our life. I wanted to do something a little different today, an update in a whole new way.

Here is an update on my spiritual life...

Before coming to Milwaukee, I definitely felt like I had a pretty good relationship with God, and I trusted him with everything. In Cincinnati, trusting God for me came to a whole new level. We had no clue what was going to happen with the church, our friends, I was pregnant and the thought that Eric was no longer going to have a job became more realistic every passing day. We trusted God to see us through, and he did. It was not easy, and at times, I doubted God. I never doubted his existence or power, but when things were at a stand still and I thought the worse, to me, I was doubting God.

But God provided this ministry in Milwaukee, with one "catch." We had to raise our salary to come here. Gasp, gulp! Eric and I had never done that before, and quiet frankly, I was terrified to ask people for money. Luckily (more like God), Molly was born by this time, and Eric took charge of putting the presentation together, meeting with people, and doing all the leg work for our support raising. He was awesome. He trusted God, he knew if we were coming to Milwaukee, then we would raise the money we needed. I think I still doubted a little at this time. We put our house on the market, even when the realtor told us it was an awful time to do so, and this was before it got really bad, and it sold in less then 24 hours. Thanks God, that was a huge sign to come to Milwaukee. I think at about that time, I started fully trusting again, and I really just left it all up to God.

Fast forward a little...we have been in Milwaukee for about a year and half now, and my life has been changed, drastically. It was a huge adjustment for me when we moved here. I was a new mom, Eric's job and what he needed from me were different then before, and I felt alone. In a city full of people, I was alone. I soon found some great friends, and more importantly, I am still trusting God. Here is a little tidbit of info...85% of people in Milwaukee do not attend church. Talk about a mission field. The people here are so wonderful, some look a little rough on the outside, and some are millionaires, but you would never know it. But we all have Jesus in common, and that's good enough for me.

I will spare you all of the details of our life here, that's another post, or more like series of post's. But since being here I have never been more challenged about my beliefs, never been more proud of my church, and I have grown so much in my faith with God. Nothing has really prepared for me for the people of Milwaukee, but I am blessed and humbled to be here. I am
still excited to go to church every week, how many of you can say that?

Thanks to all who have written your checks every month, who send us money when they have extra, and thanks for praying for us. Without you we wouldn't be here, and I mean that. Without you the people in Milwaukee would not be able to hear about Jesus. And without you, I might not have grown in my faith.

Be blessed!

1 comment:

Mom Putnam said...

Hey Kate,
I can honestly say we look forward to going to church every Sunday, as a matter of fact John and I, Jason and Katrina joined the church last Sunday and we got to vote for the first time too.
Love the Lord!!!!!
Linda