Tuesday, June 9, 2009

One Prayer-Week 1

On Sunday our church started the One Prayer series with other churches all over the world. I had a great time participating in One Prayer last year, and I knew this year would be no exception.
Have you ever sat in church, listening to the sermon, and thought to yourself, "Oh my word, the minister must of bugged my house this week, because this sermon is all about me!" That's how I felt on Sunday. I had just come off a very rough week of a teething child-8 teeth to be exact, starting the Terrible Twos, starting new allergy medicine, being behind in school, and pretty much questioning everything that I thought once was true or right. I needed a pick me up, and here's what I got...
Mark's sermon entitled, "A Box of Failures" Thanks God, I really need everyone to know that I am a failure, a loser, behind in life, but here's what I heard...everyone is a failure too. As I looked around the room I didn't feel so bad anymore. We mainly talked about Peter, one of Jesus' disciples and his major failure, denying Christ 3 times.
Then Mark gave us 3 ways God is able to fix our failure...
1.Own it-admit your failure, desire to make a change, Matt. 26
2. Stay in the group- It would of been so easy for Peter to not be a disciple anymore, take the road Judas took, and leave it all behind him, yet he stayed in the group, don't feel like the church can't or won't accept you because of your failures, keep in the group! John 21:2, you will find healing in the group, Eccl. 4:9, we all fail!
3. Bring it to Jesus- John 21:15-17, Love, This is the conversation Jesus had with Peter, Do you love me, feed my sheep, Do you love me, Feed my sheep, Do you love me, feed my sheep.
Other Misc. Notes:
*The root cause of failure is pride
*When the pride of our failure is dealt with, we change
*We let the failure cripple us
*Follow Peter's example, allow God to give you mercy and forgiveness
I really enjoyed Mark's sermon a lot. I do feel like a failure at times, and if people knew some of my failures they would look at me differently. It's hard sometimes to overcome my failures, especially being a pastor's wife, I should be perfect, ha! I am a normal Christian, trying to follow Christ's example everyday, doing the same as you.
On Saturday, Eric and I, along with another couple are going to listen to Mark preach at another church. I am excited to go and experience a different kind of service. I love seeing what other churches are doing out there.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Thanks for sharing this! I think I live my life in fear of failure, so I hold myself back from things that I really want to try or do because I'm afraid of people judging me or of just completely not knowing what I'm doing. I'm going to really work on just doing the things God leads me to do, and when I fail, I'll just remember that it's nothing that hasn't happened to everyone else at some point.